After many days of thinking about it, I finally buckled down this morning and made an appointment with the anthropologist. It has been quite awhile since my last appointment with her -- about a year and a half or two years, maybe? We used to meet regularly, starting when I was in college. This isn't unusual, contrary to popular belief. You might suspect that people just make infrequent visits throughout their lives -- maybe during times of transition and other moments of cultural doubt. Actually, one can accomplish a lot through regular meetings. As I remind friends of mine to whom I've recommended my anthropologist, maintaining your cultural health is just as important as keeping up with your physical and mental health.
What has brought me back after all these months? Well, it is not uncommon in our world today to feel a vague sense of cultural imbalance. I'm sure if you think about it, you'll recognize what I mean. Maybe this feeling manifests as resentment towards something or somebody; or maybe its just an inquietude that quietly nags at you, making you feel out of place or out of sync with what's around you.
My appointment is for next week, and even though health insurance doesn't cover it, I think the cost is worth it. I'll let you know how it goes.
January 25, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment